Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Husband's Penis Size

01/28/2000

Question:

This is an embarassing question, but I could use your expertise. My husband is concerned he isn`t large enough. His penis is 5 in. long and about 1.5 in. wide when he is erect. It is true I have a difficult time having an orgasm during regular sex but I have very strong orgasms from oral or manual stimulation.

Some of my friends feel "size" has made a difference in thier experiences. My only sexual experience has been with my husband so I don`t know what to think. He is thinking about going to plastic surgeon to have a penis enlargement. He read about it in a medical magazine.

Do you think this will make a difference? Is 5in. normal size or is it small? How much bigger can the surgeon make his penis? Is it worth surgery? Sometimes I am frustrated after sex. It isn`t a problem of forplay, we take our time and I`m ready when we begin intercourse, but I just can`t reach an orgasm. Would a larger penis make a difference? Thank you

Answer:

YOUR QUESTION WAS IMPORTANT AND QUITE TIMELY. I enlisted the aide of my associate, a world-renowned psychologist, Stan Althof, Ph.D., in designing your response. There are several important questions to address in responding to your email:

The average size of a man`s penis is generally between five and seven inches in length; the average girth is around 1.5-2.5 inches. Penile enhancement surgery is a very controversial issue. It has not been scientifically shown that such surgeries improve men`s sexual function or self esteem. At best this surgery can increase the width of the penis by 1/2 inch, but does little for length. However, these surgically improved penises tend to have an unusual appearance post surgery which cause many men great distress and disappointment.

Most women report that different size penises do feel differently. But, the majority also report they do not achieve orgasm with intercourse (penile thrusting alone). Stimulation of the clitoris (introitus), which after all is some distance from the vaginal opening, is required to produce orgasm.

Most women are like you; they can easily achieve orgasm with manual or oral stimulation, but less frequently achieve orgasm with intercourse. Many of these women require clitoral stimulation during intercourse to achieve orgasm. This is because the angle of insertion does not produce sufficient pressure and stimulation to the clitoral tissues to induce orgasm. A larger penis is unlikely to provide more clitoral stimulation than a smaller penis.

For all these reasons we do not recommend that your husband undergo this controversial procedure. Perhaps, you should see a sex therapist or review some literature or a video on sexual techniques to help you stimulate during vaginal intercourse.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Allen D Seftel, MD Allen D Seftel, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology

Stanley E Althof, PhD Stanley E Althof, PhD
Professor of Urology