Exercise and Fitness

Stress test with IV fluid

05/05/2003

Question:

My cardialogist has suggested that I have a stress test, I agreed. But, this test take 4 hours and I will have an IV with some chemical that will pass through my heart, and body, to see exactly if my heart is pumping blood properly. I don`t like this. I just don`t want that much chemical in my body. I have albinism and i think I am sensitive to too much chemicals. Does this chemical come in lesser or stronger doses? Is it the same chemical I had injected when I had a CAT scan of my head? My doctor says it attached to red blood cells. What are the side effect? this stuff cant be that safe. Is there another way to see if/how the blood is flowing through my heart valves. I dont want to do this simply because it is a chemical that I will have to take for 4 hours. Thank you.

Answer:

Your question should be addressed to your cardiologist. He or she can direct you to appropriate resources to provide education on stress tests.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley