Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Dental Work and Headaches

08/27/2003

Question:

About 5 months ago my husband had extensive dental work. He did not have implants however almost all top teeth were drilled and capped over a quick period of time by ingesting a special pill. About 2 months after this dental work he began developing "serious" headaches. All tests show no tumors, cyst, clogged arteries, etc. Every test result returned as normal. However, 3 months later he is no better off. The neurologist diagnosed him with Trigeminal Neuralgia but the neurosurgeon said he thinks it`s actually cluster headaches. We are now on a new set of drugs that do seem to be helping and we have also found that 15 minute blasts of pure oxygen seem to help. The dentist checked his teeth and took x-rays and says everything looks normal but I have my doubts due to reasons I am now experiencing after having one tooth (back top right) drilled to next to nothing, as my husband did and now I too am experiencing somewhat of the same type of pain. For example, stabbing of the eye on the same side as my dental work. Can you please tell me what you know about dental work related to this subject? Also, can you tell me why I cannot get a pharmacy to fill a prescription for DHE45 injections which have prior authorization by our insurance company? Thank You.

Answer:

It is difficult to answer your question without an examination. Since you are now experiencing symptoms similar to your husband`s, I would recommend that you perhaps see the neurologist who successfully treated your husband. Another possibility would be to see an expert in Dental Pain Management. See the American Dental Association link below for listings.

Find a Dentist - American Dental Association

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry