Child Abuse

Jobs to Help Abused Children

11/30/2004

Question:

Im 13 and i have a quick question. Well, you see I read A Child Called "IT" after I read it I was really interested in helping abused kids, and when I get older I want a job that helps abused kids.

Can you give me a list of jobs I can choose from? Im not trying to rush you but I`m writing a paper on it for school so I need it ASAP. Thanks

Answer:

It is wonderful that you are interested in finding a career where you can help abused children. There are many alternatives that will be available to you to provide care to these children, both directly and indirectly. Groups that provide direct care to child victims of abuse include social workers, physicians, nurses, and law enforcement. If these don't appeal to you, you can help children indirectly through community education or legislative advocacy.

I recommend you search the internet using terms like "child abuse", "prevention" and "employment" to see what job options will be available to you in the coming years. Good luck to you!

Jonathan Thackeray, MD

Go to the Child Abuse health topic, where you can:

Robert Shapiro, MD
Professor of Clinical Pediatrics