NetWellness

Fainting and blood donation

05/17/2005

Question:

Hi, The first time I donated blood it went perfectly, I felt good afterwards (I`m an 18 year old girl by the way). The second time I fainted unexpectedly, and I just got back home from a third attempt, where I *would* have fainted had I not notified the nurses of my sudden dizziness. I am feeling very frustrated! My iron is good, I`m a healthy vegan, I run, blah blah blah, why am I suddenly having such trouble with this? Fainting is a nerve response, isn`t it? Your pulse slows and blood pressure drops? But why does this happen? I always make sure to eat LOTS of quality food and consume enough water, so what gives? I`m at a total loss. The only things I can think of are: a) I`m on my period? b) the 2nd attempt I was told by the nurse that I have an irregular heartbeat... what is that? c) I do have a history of anxiety, I`ve been diagnosed actually, but it is fully under control, and I am not nervous at all when it comes to needles.. any suggestions are most welcome.. thanks for your time!

Answer:

Your question does not fall within the scope of my topic area or that of any other current NetWellness expert. However, the number of available "Ask an Expert" topic areas continues to increase, so be sure to check back. To help you find an expert that can answer a particular question, there is a "topic description" located at the top of each "Ask an Expert" topic area.

Go to the NetWellness health topic, where you can:

Doris A Haag, MSLS
Director, Nursing Library
NetWellness Administration