Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Colorectal Diseases

Bright Red Blood on Toilet Tissue



I`ve recently been noticing blood during my bowel movements. It does appear to actually be in the movement itself, but rather a dripping blood during the process. I`m not straining to pass any movement. In fact, though it is not diarrhea, it does tend to break up easily during the flushing process. I don`t actually see the blood dripping, but the way it appears in the water, would be common of blood dripping into water. Then when wiping, there is quite a bit of blood on the toilet tissue. Once wiped, it doesn`t appear to continue bleeding as blood does not reappear on the tissue after other wipings. I do notice somewhat of a sharp pain as if maybe something sharp was in the stool while passing. However, as stated before, the stool is fairly soft and I do not have to strain to pass it. Additionally, I notice blood one other time without passing any stool. I thought that I need to have a bowel movement, but it turned out just to be gas. However, there was still the blood in the bowl and on the toilet tissue. I`ve tried to look to see if I can see where exactly the blood is coming from. But it only seems to bleed at that moment, and then after wiping, it does not seem to continue bleeding. I`m concerned as I should be, but I`m scared of what might be told to me when I see a doctor. I`d like to prepare myself ahead of time. I`m a 33 yrs old male (healthy as far as I know) and I`m just looking for advice and possible causes. Thanks.


What you describe sounds like an anal fissure, a split in the sensitive skin in the anal canal. Fissures cause pain and/or bleeding with bowel movements. You could also have a bleeding internal hemorrhoid; both of these conditions are benign, and very common in your age group. However to be absolutely certain of your diagnosis, you need to visit with a physician who can thoroughly evaluate the area- such as a colon and rectal surgeon or a gastroenterologist.

For more information:

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati