Painful pimple under tongue, not on tongue

06/15/2006

Question:

Hi, I was wonder if you can answer a question. I have a painfull pimple like lump that just appeared on the bottem of my mouth under-neath the tongue. It look like it has a small white head on it and is painfull to touch or when i move my tongue around. The one side underneath is larger then the other side. i had this for about 4days mabey getting alittle better. im 39 non smoker and a heath nut. again the area is not on my tongue it is on the floor of my mouth i dont know what the correct calling for that area is thank you in advance

Answer:

The pain you describe for something so small makes it sound like this may be a canker sore (minor aphthous stomatitis).  This is a benign condition characterized by a small ulcer (white) that is usually surrounded by inflammation (red).  This usually lasts 7-10 days and one starts feeling better around day 4 or 5.

If this sore or another one like it comes back (canker sores can arise almost anywhere on the skin of the mouth expect the gum tissues or roof of the mouth) or is a recurrent problem, there is treatment available.  Check with your dentist or a dental specialist for help.

Hopefully, this will be your only episode.

Good luck!

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration