Tongue irritation

10/12/2006

Question:

The tip of my tongue feels irritated and somewhat raw and is very sensitive. I have lost a bit of the taste sensation in the tip but not all. It feels a bit like when you burn your tongue but this time it stays, for 2 days now. I think my son of 3 years and a few months has the same as he complain about the tip of his tongue hurting before going to sleep.

There is also a feeling of irritation when touching the inside part of my bootom teeth. When they are super clean and smooth, the feeling of irritation is less. I also have a small cut to the side of my tongue since 2 days. This seems to be healing over the past day and a half or so and is less painful.

I looked online to find out what it could be but could not find anything that fit this description. Can you advise what it might be and what to do about it?

Thank you in advance.

Answer:

Although it is possible that you have irritated or injured the tip of your tongue in some way, it is also possible that you are developing the condition known as burning mouth (tongue) syndrome.  Although not impossible, it's unlikely that your problem is the same one as your son's.

A separate information sheet will be provided about burning mouth syndrome.  If the problem continues or if you do not think the additional information sounds like your problem, you should get an appointment with your dentist or a dental specialist to get a better idea of the proper diagnosis.

Good luck!

Burning Mouth Syndrome

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration