Senior Health

Age and sensitivity to pain

03/06/2007

Question:

Is there something about getting older that would make one have a lower tolerance to pain? I`m only 55 but noticed that over the last few years, if I happen to brush my finger or hand or foot against something, it often hurts more than it used to when I was younger or more than it would most others. I also heard that if someone is a very sensitive person, both emotionally and physically, this sensitivity increases with age. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Answer:

Generally speaking, pain does not commonly increase in intensity as we grow older. I have no knowledge about increased sensitivity to pain as we grow older but that does not mean that it is not a possibility or a reality for you. If you are experiencing differences in your pain sensation or intensity from your usual pain level, see your health care provider for an assessment of your pain.

Go to the Senior Health health topic, where you can:

Evelyn L Fitzwater, DSN, RN Evelyn L Fitzwater, DSN, RN
Associate Professor Emerita
Associate Director of the