Arthritis and Rheumatism

Ana Titers Positive.

11/28/2006

Question:

My soon to be 4yr old developed sore spots on her tongue that wouldn`t go away and I took her for blood work. Her platlet count was high at 487, and her titers where high positive. Could you tell me what this might mean? Her chart ANA titer positive at 1:320 Homogenous Pattern Pattern is 1:1280 Speckled Pattern > 1:2560 Could you please tell me what this might be if anything? Thank you

Answer:

The oral ulcers, high platelet count and positive ANA test may all be consistent with group of diseases called connective tissue diseases the most common of which is lupus. I'm not sure what you meant by "Her chart ANA titer positive at 1:320 Homogenous Pattern Pattern is 1:1280 Speckled Pattern > 1:2560" Usually there is only one positive titer value reported with an associated pattern. Your child should be evaluated by a pediatric rheumatologist to determine the significance of the positive ANA test. Diagnosis of connective tissue disease is not based on one specific lab or imaging test but is based on fulfilling appropriate criteria.

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Johnny  Su, MD Johnny Su, MD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Medicine