Anesthesia

Back spasms after C-section

02/27/2007

Question:

In September 2006, my son presented breech and I had to schedule a caesarean delivery. At the time of my anesthesia -- which combined a spinal block and epidural medication -- the anesthesiologist discovered an abnormality in my spine that required many "sticks" to administer medication. Following seven excruciating attempts, I was anesthetized and my son was delivered without incident. It`s now been nearly six months, and the pain in my back has continued and worsened, and now I`m having strange tingling and spasms in my back, numbness in my legs, limited mobility. I`ve had back problems in the past -- bulging lumbar disc -- and my OB knew this at time of delivery and anesthesia. I`m becoming very frightened. When I spoke to my OB she told me it was not her problem, so now I`m working with my family doctor. What could this be, and should I seek treatment with a spinal specialist, etc?

Answer:

The most likely cause for your problem is a herniated or (bulging) disc. It could be a recurrence/worsening of the old bulging disc or a different (new) disc problem. Of course, there could be other much less likely causes and an MRI of the low back (lumbar) spine would be useful. An evaluation by a pain management or spine specialist can help delineate the problem and treat it. Your family doctor can refer you appropriately after obtaining a lumbar spine MRI.

Go to the Anesthesia health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine