Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook


Looking for Special Sources of Help for People with Asperger`s



I looked for a link to find local doctors, dentists with experience treating Asperger people.


In reply to your question about locating doctors and dentists with experience treating Asperger Syndrome, I have several suggestions:

Soon, the Ohio Center for Autism and Low Incidence will be posting a list of resources. You may wish to visit its website at http://www.ocali.org/ In the meantime, you could call the OCALI Family Services Administrator, Donna Owens at (614) 410-0381. Her email address is donna_owens@ocali.org OCALI has a toll free number: 866 88 OCALI.

Other than that, it really depends on the area in which you live. If the individual with Asperger Syndrome is a child, a children's hospital www.ohiochildrenshospitals.org/ may be a good place to start. With regard to dental care, the dentist primarily needs to be experienced in treating people with sensory sensitivities.

In Columbus, both the Nisonger Center at the Ohio State University and Nationwide Children's Hospital are places to inquire.

In Cincinnati, you could follow the same procedure by visiting www.cincinnatichildrens.org/ or you may wish to network with parents or adults with Asperger Syndrome. You could click on the Support Groups link at http://www.autismcincy.org/ The advantage of support groups is that you can collect not only names but opinions about various providers; on the other hand, if you don't know the evaluator, the quality of the evaluations needs to be held in question.

In the Dayton area, a good source for information may be the Dayton Area Resource Network (DARN) Audrey Schilb at 937-433-4505, daytonasperger@sbcglobal.net The DARN group has a website at http://darngroup.tripod.com/

For more information:

Go to the Autism health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Patricia H Cloppert, BSFS Patricia H Cloppert, BSFS
Faculty Parent Advocate
Program Manager for Parent/Family Support
OSU Nisonger Center
The Ohio State University