Urinary Disorders

Pus cell and epithelial cell in urine

05/14/2007

Question:

I am a male person of 28 years old. I have minor pain in lower abdomen from july 2006. After urine test pus cell(2-3)/hpf, rbc 1-2/hpf and epithelial cell(2-3)/hpf found. As per local doctors suggestion I took antibiotic for infection, but puss cell and epithelial cell is found in every pathological test done after 30 days of interval. Today(7.5.2007) also pus cell (1-2/hpf, epithelic cell(2-3/hpf found in urine.

Do I have any problem in kidney or it is normal.

Answer:

In general it is not normal to have persistent white blood cells(what you call pus cells) in the urine. You also say that you have lower abdominal pain. You may have chronic prostatitis (an inflammation or infection of the prostate gland) which is common in younger men.

The recommended treatment for this is 6-12 weeks of antibiotics not the usual 7-10 days given for a simple urinary tract infection. It would also be helpful to have an X-ray of your urinary system to be sure you have nothing else wrong. I would speak with your health care provider about your concern.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Marc F Cymes, PA Marc F Cymes, PA
Clinical Instructor of Urology