Breast Cancer

Dull breast pain

06/01/2007

Question:

I`m a 27 yr old and on and off for the last few months I have noticed a dull ache/pain in my left breast that seems to come and go. I don`t feel any lumps and don`t feel any `hot spots` when i palpate the area (around 3-4 o`clock). I`ve just started keeping track of the pain to see if it is related to my menstral cycle. I also changed from DepoProvera (on it for a year, went off due to weight gain) to NuvaRing (on it 4 months).

Should I do anything more right now other than tracking the times I feel the discomfort? I`ve read many of the other responses and see breast pain is common but just wanted to check

Answer:

You are correct that it is a common complaint of women. It may be due to your contraception, however, if it continues and is bothersome to you, seek the advice of your primary care or gyne physician. There are over-the-counter treatments that are available.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Jennifer B Manders, MD Jennifer B Manders, MD