Dark spots in the breast area

08/22/2007

Question:

I have dark spots, almost like a bruise underneath my breast. The spots have now migrated to the upper part of my breast area. They are small in size, except for the discoloration under the breast. This is a patch that is about two shades darker than my complexion. the other spots are about the size of a nickel and they look like bruises. I went to a doctor who told me this may be caused from taking moltrin. I have cut down on my intake of motrin, however, the spots are still there and seem to be spreading around the chest area. Any idea what this is?

Answer:

Hello, thank you for your question. From your description it is difficult to be absolutely sure what these spots are from. The different possibilities range from a contact dermatitis or a fungal infection, to something more serious, like a cutaneous cancer. I would recommend that you see a dermatologist for your concern, and he or she can better evaluate you and possibly do a biopsy if it is not clear what these spots are clinically.

Janine D Miller, MD Janine D Miller, MD
Formerly

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center