Dental and Oral Health Center

Yellow coating on tongue

07/31/2007

Question:

For a while now, I have had a yellow coating on my tongue. I was given medication in the case it was a yeast infection, and it didn`t go away. I then tried scraping and brushing it all off. Though this works initially, the yellow coating reappeared the next day. I even stopped taking my nose spray, which I think is the cause of this, and started using Listerine mouthwash. How does one get rid of this?

Answer:

There are a variety of possible factors that can lead to changes in the color of the upper surface of the tongue. These include:

The discoloration is typically harmless, although it can be dramatic and alarming. If you are using a chewable form of vitamin supplement, you might try switching to a capsule/tablet that you swallow with water. Switching toothpaste or mouthwash formulations may be helpful. Finally, gentle brushing of the tongue with a toothbrush (you don`t need a tonguebrush, although these are available) once a day can often control the color by removing the excess skin cells on the papilla (small, hair-like structures) of the tongue. This layer of cells is where most pigments or colored materials accumulate.

Incidentally, several tongue colors have been reported, including yellow, green, brown and black.

Thank you for visiting NetWellness!

Oral Conditions (American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology)
Tongue discoloration

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry