Prominent uterus, cervix & vagina

08/20/2007

Question:

HI, I got a Cat Scan of my abdomen and my Dr. called and told me he wanted a Sonogram of my Uterus, inside & out. He said that my Uterus, Cervix & Vagina were prominent and that I had a cyst on my left ovary. He also said that I had a cyst on my liver and kidney. I am just wondering what may be wrong in this case. I am 49 yrs old and had 5 pregnancies, 2 to term (1 miscarriage & 2 abortions). I am embarrased to tell anyone that, but if I want you to be honest with me, I will be with you. Also about 7-8 yrs ago I had pre-cancerous cells on my cervix, they were removed and the pap smears since then have been normal. Even the one this past April. I asked my Dr. at that time to do the test that can catch cancerous cells before they happen, but she would not do it, she said only if the pap smear was abnormal. So, please let me know of want I may be up against. Thank you!!

Answer:

The uterus and cervix may vary in size between women, depending on such things as your age, menopausal status, and how many children you have had.  A "prominent" uterus is therefore not necessarily bad.  Likewise, an ovarian cyst can be present in a woman still having periods and be completely normal.

That said, "prominent" could be a euphemism for abnormally large, and your doctor may be concerned about the presence of an abnormal growth or tumor. Most tumors of the uterus and cervix are benign, such as muscular tumors (fibroids) or glandular growths (like polyps or adenomyosis). 

Because I don't know the exact findings or the reason why you had the CT scan in the first place, I cannot comment further on what problem you might have.  I'm sure that your doctor can give you more information after you have your sonogram.

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology