Stroke

Blood pressure

10/08/2007

Question:

I have had high blood pressure for 2 years. I`m 46 now and am taking medication for it. I got this sudden massive headache around my one eye. My eye was watering prior to the headache. I took my blood pressure and it`s 102/53 which is very low for me. Also I forgot to take my medication today. Should I treat these signs as a possible stroke?

Answer:

If you are ever in doubt about the possibility of stroke, it is important to get medically evaluated. By this, I mean that you should probably call 911 and be urgently evaluated if you have any suspicion.

It is likely that you have not had a stroke, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Your symptoms sound very much like a cluster headache. I hope that they have passed by the time you read this. I would advise that you call your doctor immediately, and consider being seen by a neurologist.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Assistant Professor of Neurology
Director, Neurology Residency Program