Ulnar nerve surgery

01/02/2008

Question:

Hi I have had a EMG and I need ulnar nerve surgery in both elobows and carpal tunnel surgery in both hands, what is the success rate of the ulnar nerve relocation surgery , could I get worse , right now I have numbness in my ring finger and pinky finger it does go away is there a chance it will get better if I dont have the surgery. Im not in any pain just numbness in the morning when I wake up

Answer:

You will have to discuss the success rate of this type of surgery with your orthopedic surgeon.  Conservative management is most appropriate before surgery for either ulnar or medial nerve surgery.  These measures include anti-inflammatory medications, splints and cortisone injections.  Most people do have resolution or improvement of symptoms with these interventions but some people do not improve and will require surgery. 

Charles Webster, MD