Breast Cancer

Inconclusive mammogram test

01/31/2008

Question:

I had a typical mammogram done about two weeks ago. I yesterday received a letter in the mail reading it is inconclusive. The letter stated it was not to alarm me...it stated that they were not saying the resluts were abnormal..but something about layered tissue or skin during the exam can keep them from reading the x-ray accurately. I thought any repeat of the test certainly was a sign of the worst. Is it possible that they just need a clearer reading?

Answer:

Screening mammograms can be inconclusive without anything bad going on.  In an effort not to miss any cancers, sometimes people who probably don't have any problems are asked to get some additional pictures to clear up inconclusive findings.  More repeat tests are not necessarily a sign of anything bad and are really no cause for major concern.  They are just an effort to be thorough.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Doreen M Agnese, MD Doreen M Agnese, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery and Internal Medicine