Exercise and Fitness

08/14/2008

Question:

Hello, I have previously asked an expert on this site regarding weight loss. I`m proud to say after following their advice and having some determination of my own, I was able to lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks. Down from 193 to 182 as of now. I was pleasantly surprised at my weight change and I feel lighter, a little quicker which helps for a basketball team I am on. But, the last two weeks I haven`t been able to lose much from my weight. I wish to lose another 5 to 10 pounds which would put me in pretty good shape. I still feel I am out of shape and I wish to lose at least a little bit of my tummy. Currently, I have very rigorous basketball practice 2 times a week, 2-3 hours each. Aside from that, I go to the YMCA about 4-5 times a week. I workout about an hour and half each visit and I also try to jog about 20-30 minutes at a 10 minute mile pace. I was wondering what I can adjust/add to my current "training" that would enhance my chance to lose a little more weight and in turn lose body fat.

In terms of my diet, I try to limit my food intake. My previous answer from the expert said about a 1800-2000 calorie diet. I try to follow that advice, although I do not know exactly my calorie intake. Overall, I believe that for food I just limit my intake, particularly calories(fast food, cheese, sugar) and try to eat a little healthier. Any guidelines regarding my eating habits are appreciated. Any further advice as to what I can do in terms of losing weight and/or body fat would be welcomed.

Thanks for your help in advance and I applaud all that you experts do/advise to all the people in my position. Thanks again

Answer:

The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that exercise performed at a moderate intensity should be undertaken most days of the week. The duration of an exercise session interacts with the intensity to result in the expenditure of a sufficient number of calories to achieve health, fitness, and weight management goals. The duration of exercise recommended by ACSM includes 20 to 60 minutes of continuous or intermittent (minimum of 10 minute bouts)aerobic activity accumulated throughout the day. For many participants, this may be accomplished best with moderate -intensity, long-duration exercise, such as walking. A desirable weight loss program is one that implements healthy eating and physical activity habits that can be continued for life in order to maintain the achieved lower body weight.

It may also be helpful to consult a registered dietitian to review your diet to determine if you are eating in a manner that will best help you reach your goals.  Weight loss will only be successful if you commit to lifelong healthy eating and a regular exercise program. Give yourself time to adjust to a new routine and make it a part of your daily life. Good luck to you.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Rachael   Dotson, BS Rachael Dotson, BS
Program Manager
Certified Johnny G Spinning Instructor
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley