High liver enzyme count

09/03/2008

Question:

I have a 9 yr. old daughter who has been experiencing severe abdominal pain, throwing up bile and high fever. We took her to the hospital and her liver enzyme count was 700, had an enlarged spline and liver. We were told she had mono and after a two day hospital stay she was released. It`s been two weeks since our hospital visit and this past weekend her symptoms started up again. This morning I was told her liver count was 1500! What can this be? She`s crying asking me to help her and I feel helpless. Are there certain questions I should be asking my doctor?

Answer:

I can certainly understand your concern and your daughter's fears.  The same questions (separated out) that you asked me are the one's that you should ask your (or her) doctor:

Those questions, and the ones that you think of to follow, will help the both of you understand what is going on and when/how it will get better.

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine