Pregnancy

Squishy cervix

02/16/2009

Question:

I am 3 days late for my cycle, which is like clock work: every 28-29 days, and my menses is 5-6 long. The first day of my last menses was 12-29. It lasted 3 days, the first being red blood and the 2 and 3 light and a brown. Before that, my cycle period started on 11-30 and lasted 5 days. My cervix is about 3/4 of my middle finger in and tilted to my tummy. Here is the analogy of how it feels to me: imagine a fluffy marshmallow layer over your nose. Soft and squishy on the outside, but firm on the inside. My nipples are very sensitive, and even sore. Breasts have twinges of pain. A week and ago, I literally began to cry for no reason. I can smell everything, good and bad. I have an ache in my lower right side, where I feel it when I crap during ovulation on and off for a week. (I had an appendectomy in July, so not that.) On the 25th, when I was supposed to start, I got the same cramps I would letting my know my flow was beginning, only with out the flow. I have been in a constant state of arousal. Slight to moderately queasy stomach and maybe a little more frequent urination. All that being said, I had a tubal done in June `o3. I am quite aware of the slim possibility of being pregnant. Could I still be pregnant? I appreciate you taking the time to read my post.

Answer:

While there are many sensations, feelings, experiences, and symptoms that a woman may have in pregnancy (or not have and still be pregnant), the only way to diagnose pregnancy is with a reliable pregnancy test.  If you are late for a regular period and have been sexually active, it is possible to become pregnant no matter what contraception you use.  Commercially available urine pregnancy tests are safe, private, and accurate when used properly, and are usually available at any drug store or supermarket.

Go to the Pregnancy health topic, where you can:

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology