Pain in the knee back of the knee

04/20/2009

Question:

I am a runner and bicyclist. I hurt my knee when I crashed on my bicycle the other day but I continued my ride with some pain. The next morning the knee was swollen up and I could not bear to put the full weight on the knee. The pain is focused on the back side of the knee and when I walk I feel my knee popping out of place and there is also some noise. Should I rest my knee or do other stuff?

Answer:

You may be familiar with the following mnemonic, which is usually appropriate during the initial stages following an injury or the onset of symptoms:

P - Protection from further injury;
R - Relative rest, which means remaining as active as your symptoms allow (cross-training, daily activities, etc.) while minimizing symptoms as much as possible;
I - Ice application periodically to reduce pain and control swelling;
C - Compression, such as by using an elastic bandage or knee sleeve, again to reduce pain and control swelling; and
E - Elevation, ideally above the level of your heart.

If you continue to have symptoms which limit your activities, consider consulting with your physician who can perform a complete history and physical examination, and also determine whether information from imaging studies is necessary to determine the best course of treatment.

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation