My boyfriend`s hearing is very exceptional. .

08/05/2009

Question:

What can my boyfriend do about his hearing? We were at an outdoor mall while a band was playing very loudly. About twenty feet away were two young girls running holding hands. He was facing in the other directions when his head jerked towards them because above all the loud noise he heard the girl say we have to stop running, my boob fell out of my top! I`m not lying. I saw this with my own eyes. I couldn`t believe it. He was inside his house with the air conditioner on watching tv. He heard a smack. He ran outside to see the neighbor rubbing her face and wiping tears from her eyes. She just got smacked in her car by her husband before she left the driveway. How in the world did he hear that? I`m dumbfounded. This situation bothers him a great deal because he can`t sleep well at night. When he had to go to the emergency room a doctor asked him if he was physic because he hear a nurse`s shoes squeak on the floor. The doctors heard nothing. They told him no one was coming down the hallway. Then the nurse passed by a few minutes later. It amazed both of them. My boyfriend assumed they could hear her shoes like he could. Even when she passed by, the doctors could not hear her shoes. Please tell us what this is and what is going on. We would be so happy. He says this has been happening for a long time now. I think he`s tired of his exceptional hearing and would like to get a good night`s sleep.

Answer:

Some people are blessed with better hearing than others. It is probably nothing to worry about. That being said, I recommend that he see an otolaryngologist and obtain an audiogram.

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program