Swollen salivary gland/pain

10/23/2009

Question:

Last year I went to an ENT for a swollen gland behind my ear. He did a biopsy and told me it was fine and not to worry about it just a swollen salivary gland. It is about double the size of my other one and causes pain on the inside of my ear especially if I lean my head towards my shoulder on that side; it is a sharp shooting pain. Here I am a year later and it’s the same with more frequent pain in my ear. I’m 27 years old and this just doesn’t seem right, I also on occasion get pretty bad dizzy spells. Any insight on what this is or advice on what to do please let me know!

Answer:

I believe an evaluation by a University basd ENT is warranted. A new biopsy may be obtained. Pain in the ear with a mass on that side of the head and neck is concerning for more than benign salivary tissue.

Lee   Zimmer, MD Lee Zimmer, MD
Assistant Professor or Otolaryngology, Director of Endoscopic Cranial Base Center