Cancer

Post Hodgkins/Chemo Problems

10/20/2009

Question:

In 1995 I was diagnosed with stage IIB nodular schlerosing hodgkin`s lymphoma. I underwent 8 cycles of treatment with the AB-MOPP regimen. I skipped the recommended radiationas it was found I was pregnant. Over the years since, I have been found to have vulvular carcinoma, early stage which was surgically removed 3 times (last being in 2007), early stage cervical cancer resulting in a hysterectomy (2007) and early stage bi-lateral breast cancer (2009) resulting in a double skin sparring mastectomy and then 2 weeks later an additional surgery to remove the nipples as they felt cells might not have all been removed orginally.

In diagnosing the breast cancer earlier this year a small mass was found in my upper left lobe of my lung, small mass in the upper right chest area and slight changes indicating emphysema in both upper lobes. I have been having CT`s every 90 days (3 now) to follow the masses. The last one doesn`t say the right upper chest mass is present, but a right upper lung mass, very small, is present. Also, for several years now they have seen a calcified lesion on my superior mediastinum currently measuring 3.8x1.6 cm.

I keep being told that it`s nothing, don`t worry, doesn`t mean anything. But I also worry that my oncologist, who is very well known in Houston oncological circles, I have been told, just notices small changes over time and brushes it off. He initially brushed off the masses in my breast until I persisted and then they ultimately recommended the bi-lat mastectomy and found it everywhere, but still early stage. I just don`t know enough about post cancer/ post chemo to know if these types of masses are normal. When I look on the web, it shows the calcifications being `common` post radiation but I had none. Also...keep wondering why I get so many little early stage cancers and no one can tell me why. Suggestions?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. You have a very complicated medical history. If you have any questions about the recommendations being made by your oncologist, please obtain a second opinion.

Go to the Cancer health topic, where you can:

Paula  Silverman, MD Paula Silverman, MD