Wellness Center

Re: Toddler Flu - Please Respond Immediately

11/11/2009

Question:

Thanks a lot for your immediate response. We started giving Tamiflu for. We are also giving him Paracetamol and Ibuprufin. Since yesterday his fever has gone down and he is more energetic and happy. I just wanted to know when can we all start going out to the public. The doctor has instrucetd us not to go out even though it`s just our son who had the flu. My son`s course ends on Wednesday. Can we all go out after his course is over or should we wait for more than that. Thanks!

Answer:

I am so glad to hear your son is recovering so quickly. What a huge relief for you! The Centers for Disease Conrol and Prevention recommends that persons with swine flu stay home for at least 24 hours after their fever has been gone without the use of medications such as tylenol and advil. That's good advice for any type of flu.

Meanwhile, be sure you wash your hands often and well and apply alcohol-based hand sanitizer after caring for your son or handling his dishes, glasses, etc. as well as devices for giving medication and the thermometer. Clean the thermometer after every use. Be sure he has lots of tissues to cover his cough and keep those fluids going.

I hope you and his dad avoid getting the flu and that all is well shortly. Thanks for contacting Netwellness!

Go to the Wellness Center health topic, where you can:

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN