Smoking and Tobacco

I Quit 9 Months Ago

11/20/2009

Question:

I quit 9 months ago. Best decision I ever made. I smoked for 35 years and used Chantex to quit. How much have I done to improve lung and cancer issues? Don`t worry, I am not about to start again!

Answer:

Congratulations on 9 months of success!  And it is good that you and your primary care provider identified a medication that worked for you.  It is very appropriate that you asked this question as today is the Great American Smokeout and you can inspire others. 

Your body has begun positive changes since you quit smoking.  From the American Cancer Society, at 2 weeks to 3 months after quitting, your heart attack risk began to drop and your lungs began to work better.  From 1 to 9 months your coughing and shortness of breath decreased.  At 1 year after quitting - your risk of heart disease is half that of a smoker's.  

For more information about continued benefits in the future please go to the section of the American Cancer Society website below: 

http://www.cancer.org/Healthy/StayAwayfromTobacco/GreatAmericanSmokeout/index

Enjoy your freedom from cigarettes....

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Karen L Ahijevych, PhD, RN, FAAN Karen L Ahijevych, PhD, RN, FAAN
Professor, College of Nursing
Professor, College of Public Health