Esophagus spams

12/01/2009

Question:

I was told I had a hernia and need to have it repaired. The surgeon did a neisan wrap and tighten up my esophagus. Since then I have esophagus spams (feel like a really bad Charlie Horse) that are so very painful. it does not matter if I am drinking or eating or I don`t have to be doing anything at all. There is a lump where he did the wrap and it is also painful. I also pass out and can not bend over or sit up straight due to pain around where he did the wrap. I am in pain 24/7 and it is very painful to eat any type of food or drink fluids. He also nicked the vegus nerve when he did the surgery. I was told after the surgery I did not have a hernia but he did the procedure anyways thinking it would help. I went to him with a feeling of a lump in my throat that I have had for over 20 years.

Thank you,

Answer:

If the vagal nerve is temporarily or permanently injured, it can affect swallowing. A GI or general surgeon would be better able to answer your questions concerning pain. I also am not knowledgeable about the post-operative course of patients after a Nissan.  Again, this is a discussion you should have with your surgeon.   

However, a lump in your throat is often seen in laryngeal reflux (acid injuring the larynx) and/or allergies. If the lump is due to laryngeal reflux, which is most common, the Nissan should help, since it reduces reflux.

If you have tried discussing these issues with your surgeon and feel you both are not communicating well, then a second opinion from another general surgeon should be considered.

Siddarth M Khosla, MD Siddarth M Khosla, MD