Drainage in my throat

12/14/2009

Question:

I constantly have throat drainage and I am a choir singer and it at times block my vocal chords and i have to constantly spit mucus

Answer:

It sounds like you need to see an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist in order to have your vocal cords evaluated.  You need to make sure you do not have a polyp or nodules on your vocal cords.

At first glance, it appears that you may be describing an acid reflux type problem.  Patients with this condition often have frequent throat clearing, mucus accumulation in the throat, intermittent hoarseness, a lump in the throat sensation, cough and possibly recurrent sore throat.  Many patients that we see as ENT specialists with these symptoms often do not complain of heartburn.

I would still recommend a visit to an ENT specialist to make sure that nothing more serious is occurring in your throat.  Some of these symptoms are similar to those of more serious problems.  Good luck with this problem.

Keith M Wilson, MD Keith M Wilson, MD
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Head and Neck Division