Mucus sac blown from sinus

12/28/2009

Question:

My husband was blowing his nose after a shower this morning, as he typically does and this time showed me something in the tissue that was alarming. There was a clear gel-like bulb sac that was about twice the size of a jelly bean. He said it was soft. It did not look like a clump of mucus, it did not seem like tissue- more like a shiny gel filled sac. I wish we had collected it and taken it to the Physician, but he disposed of it. Now I am a bit worried, because he has recently been suffering from migraines and his snoring is worse. He is otherwise healthy, a good weight and athletic. Does not smoke. Never seems to have sinus problems, but blows a lot of mucus from his nose each morning after showering. I would appreciate your feed-back.

Answer:

Most likely what your husband blew out was mucus.  Mucus can become quite thick and gelatinous.  Sometimes underlying sinus conditions, such as chronic infection, can  be associated with mucus that becomes particularly thick.  This would also tend to contribute to snoring.  I suggest you have your husband evaluated by an ENT physician.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy