Intense ear pain

I got Swimmers ear back in Feb of 2007. My doctor prescribed me the oridinary medicine and it went away. I then experienced popping in my ear and could feel fluid. I went to the doctor right away and was told I had just popped my eardrum. I was given some pain medication and sent home. I, then noticed I couldn`t get water in my ear otherwise there would be severe pain. I went swimming one and got water in my ear. My mom tried putting swimmers ear medicine in, but it made me scream in pain. I couldn`t move because the pain was so intense. I went to the doctor, and then sent me straight to the ear specialist. She cleaned my ear of fluid and put tubes in. I wasn`t prescribed anything as she said it would take car of everything. The pain continued and I still couldn`t even get water in my ear. The car windows couldn`t be down either because the wind made my ear hurt. I went back to the doctor again and was setup immediately with the ear specialist because I had blood present in my ear. The ear specialist cleaned my ear of fluid again and pulled out the tube in my ear because it was coming out. I was sent home once again feeling fine. I am able to get my ear wet to a certain extent, without severe pain. However, my ear experiences random pain. Sometimes, It`ll hurt for hours because I bent down once, or it just may come on suddenly when I am sitting on the couch. The doctors have tried to tell me it is a problem with the equilibrium in my ear, but I have had no problems until I got swimmers ear that one day. Other than that, they have not been able to diagnosis me with any other thing.

At the least, it sounds like you are getting better. Sometimes, ear infection related pain can take a little while to get better. If you want a 2nd opinion, consider seeing an otologist. I am curious if any of your pain is TMJ dysfunction related. Hope you continue to get better.

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program