Vertigo, and buzzing in ear, jaw clicking

01/04/2010

Question:

i have recently had problems with dizzyness and went 2 the hospital, i had a ear infection but recently had i cleaned by and ENT surgon, i then phoned him back to say that i still had the dizzyness, he suggested that the cause my ear is cleared that it could be a problem with my jaw line. Also i have be experiencing a strange sound in my ear in the mornings and when i chew there is clicking in my jaw and a sound that my ear is full of something, could you shed any light on my problem and what steps to do next?

Answer:

Clicking with chewing, along with strange sounds in the ear, are common symptoms of TMJ, or inflammation of the jaw joint and the muscles that work the jaw.  This is best treated by applying heat over the jaw joint (in front of the ear), not chewing gum, and further consultation with your dentist.  Dizziness would be an unusual symptom of TMJ, so further consultation with your ENT physician is warranted.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy