Voice

01/08/2010

Question:

my sisiter in law was in car accident was in icu for 30 days. She has a trac in breathing through the trac and also has a hallo on. She has no voice doctors or ent said when hallo comes of they will stick scope down trac to see how much scar tissue is there. She has a little wisper at times said might have to do surgey to remove scar tissue is this preety common, and will she get her voice back. thanks

Answer:

It is very difficult for me to say without some more information.  If she did not injure her voice box in the accident, she should be able to get her voice back.  If there was some injury to the voice box it is hard for me to guess if her voice will return.  One good test is if she can talk when the trach tube is plugged ( if the tube has a cuff on it, the cuff must be deflated).

The ENT doctor should be able to tell you once he has a chance to look down the trach tube.  I wish her well with this situation.

Keith M Wilson, MD Keith M Wilson, MD
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Head and Neck Division