Swollen nose

01/20/2010

Question:

My daughter moved in with her friend that had a cat in September and she woke two weeks later with a rash on her right side of her face and the right side of her nose was severly swollen. She went to the clinic and nose specialist twice and was given atibiotics. We thought it was the cat but it is gone now for 2 months and she woke up today even worse than the last time. Red rash across right cheek and nose with severse nose swelling. 2x her normal size. Any suggestions as to the cause. She has hypo-thyroid and is 21.

Answer:

Unfortunately, I would need more information. Is it painful. Any sinus drainage. Any nasal obstruction. This could be allergic but it could also be infectious or immunologic. I would start with a thorough ENT evaluation and any consults to an allergist or rheumatologist to get at the bottom of her issues.

Lee   Zimmer, MD Lee Zimmer, MD
Assistant Professor or Otolaryngology, Director of Endoscopic Cranial Base Center