Chronic Carotidynia

01/25/2010

Question:

Hello,

I am a 29 year old healthy male that was diagnosed with Carotidynia about 7 years ago by my family doctor. I was having pain/tenderness on the left side of my neck at the site of the carotid artery. Since I was diagnoses the symptoms seem to recur on average of 1-2 times per year and would take anywhere from days to months to go away. Recently, I hadn`t had symptoms for over a year and this week a "flare up" has returned after a day I was outside in the cold weather for four hours. I usually take IBprofen which helps calm it for the time being. I do get headaches on occasion with it but normally just the tender neck pain. Is there any new information on treating recurring Carotidynia?

Answer:

I have not found any long term method to relieve carotidynia. If ibuprofen works well and quickly, that is a great first line therapy. Other prescription strength anti-inflammatories may be more effective.

Lee   Zimmer, MD Lee Zimmer, MD
Assistant Professor or Otolaryngology, Director of Endoscopic Cranial Base Center