Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Degenerative hearing loss



Hello. I am in search of information on where to seek the kind of help I need for my decreased hearing. It is not profound yet, but seems to be progressively getting worse. I wonder if testing by one of you clinicians would be possible, or if a more appropriate referral could be suggested. I have a family history of degenerative hearing loss including parents and siblings with hearing devices required before the age of 50. Any information you give me would be appreciated. Thank you,


It sounds as though you have a genetic predisposition to your hearing loss. I recommend that you see an otologist, one that performs cochlear implants like I do. You may just need standard hearing aids but you may ultimately need cochlear implants if your hearing progresses to a severe to profound form. You may need genetic blood work and a CT or MRI scan as well.

For more information:

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati