Degenerative hearing loss

02/17/2010

Question:

Hello. I am in search of information on where to seek the kind of help I need for my decreased hearing. It is not profound yet, but seems to be progressively getting worse. I wonder if testing by one of you clinicians would be possible, or if a more appropriate referral could be suggested. I have a family history of degenerative hearing loss including parents and siblings with hearing devices required before the age of 50. Any information you give me would be appreciated. Thank you,

Answer:

It sounds as though you have a genetic predisposition to your hearing loss. I recommend that you see an otologist, one that performs cochlear implants like I do. You may just need standard hearing aids but you may ultimately need cochlear implants if your hearing progresses to a severe to profound form. You may need genetic blood work and a CT or MRI scan as well.

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program