Throat constriction

02/10/2010

Question:

since Dec. 2009 I have experienced a feeling of fullness in my throat along with mild sore throat. over the last two weeks , after eating I experienced a sence of my throat contricting but I am breathing ok. I also feel like I have ulcers and irritation in the back of my mouth along with a whiteish tongue which subsides after about an hour. When I wake up in the mourning, I only feel a very mild throat irritation. I was testing for my thryoid which came back negative. I am presently keeping a food dairy. i have cut out all sugar and dairy yet the problem has increase. What could be the reason for these symptoms? Is it a new allergy?

Answer:

I would recommend food allergy testing. Also, a trial of anti-acid medications like prilosec for 8-12 weeks may help to calm or eliminate these symptoms. If these fail, a picture of the throat and esophagus called a barium esophagram should be ordered.

Lee   Zimmer, MD Lee Zimmer, MD
Assistant Professor or Otolaryngology, Director of Endoscopic Cranial Base Center