I Move a Lot in My Sleep

03/04/2010

Question:

Hello, I am 14 turning 15 and I have had this "problem" since I was about 4 years of age. I`m not sure if it is necessarily a "problem" but i just want to know if it will go away. When I sleep, around 10 pm each day, I always move my sleeping position while sleeping. It feels as if I always am searching for a colder part of my bed to rest. When I wake up around 7 am each day, I find that my pillow is who knows where, and my blankets are upside down and between my legs. I don`t know if I should do something or if this will eventually slip out of my life. I weigh about 150-160 lbs and am 5`7".

Answer:

This is a common problem. There are several possibilities that could explain your sleep issues and these range from normal sleep behaviors to a primary sleep disorder to other non-sleep related conditions. Further information will be required in order to determine if any testing or treatment is needed. Listed below are some of the questions that are important in trying to determine if you have a problem and what the solution might be.

1) What is the approximate time you generally fall asleep at night whether there are any nighttime awakenings or not? What is the time you finally wake up in the morning? What happens to you nighttime awakenings and awakening time when you have an earlier bedtime?

2) Do you take any naps during the daytime? Are you falling asleep at school, feel tired or have any daytime symptoms? Do you receive of caffeine during the day through colas or other beverages? Do you child seem to be otherwise normal during the daytime once you wake up? How is your performance in school?

3) Do you snore or have periods where you stop breathing during the night? Do you have any unusual movements at night, painful legs in the evening, sleep walk or wet the bed?

4) Do you have any other medical conditions or any other symptoms of illness such as loss of weight, headaches, coughing at night, unusual bowel or bladder habits? Have you ever been knocked unconscious or had mononucleosis?

5) Is there a family history of people that are long sleepers (more than 10 hours at night)?

11 yr olds will typically sleep on average about 9 hrs at night; however there is range from about 8 -11 hours at night that is still considered normal for children in this age group.

I suggest you discuss your difficulty with morning awakenings with your family physician or pediatrician to determine if further investigation or a specific treatment is warranted. Referral to a Pediatric Sleep Specialist may be needed, depending on the answers to the questions above as well as a physical examination.

Mark   Splaingard, MD Mark Splaingard, MD
Clinical Professor of Pediatrics