Cyst on Vocal Cord

03/25/2010

Question:

My 9 year old daughter was diagnosed 8 months ago with a cyst on her left vocal cord. She has been in speech therapy since discovering the cyst. She has sung professionally since the age of 5 and most people she has performed with tell us she has a bright future as a vocalist. Her first scope was in August, she was scoped again in December and it appeared the cyst was getting smaller. She was scoped again last week and it is still there and now closer to the original size. They are now referring us to Dr Peggy Kelly at Childrens Hospital here in Denver, CO. From what I have read regarding this type of surgery it`s success rate is as good as the skill of the surgeon. I am told there is not really an expert in vocal performers and children. I have heard your department at UC is one of the best in the country. I had a couple of questions I am hoping you can answer. 1. Would you ever recommend surgery on someone so young? 2. What types of insurance do you accept? 3. We are being told that she has nothing but time on her side. Is this true? Or would surgery soon be the best option since it is not responding to speech therapy? I understand if you are not able to answer my questions without first seeing her. We are just trying to gather as much opinion as possible before making any decisions as to how to proceed. We are very concerned about making a decision that would result with her not being able to continue singing. Singing is such a big part of who she is. Thank you for your time.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. We are unable to answer many of the questions you have, but I can give you the numbers for the Cincinnati Children's Hospital and University Hospital in order to find out this information.

The number for Cincinnati Children's Hospital is 513-636-4200 or 1800-344-2462

The link to the Otolaryngology department: http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/research/div/otolaryngology/default.htm

The number for the UC Physicians Otolaryngology Department is 513-475-8400 or 800-272-4645

For insurance information you can follow the link below:
http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/visit/financial/default.htm

To talk to a specialist about your entitlements please contact a financial counseller at University Hospital on 513-584-1772.

I hope that this helps you.

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org