Smoking and Tobacco

Excess Weight Gain

04/22/2010

Question:

I quit smoking two months ago and feel great! I expected some weight gain (no more than 10 pounds)and immediately began to watch what I eat and upped my exercise (I am military - so the exercise really isn`t a problem). I have gained 23 pounds in two months!!!! I am concerned that my smoking masked a medical condition - should I get some blood work or something? Thank you!

Answer:

Wow, twenty-three pounds in two months. That is a lot. Average weight gain after stopping smoking is about six pounds, so this is high. However, it is fairly rare for a medical condition to cause weight gain while you are "feeling great." Nonetheless, a trip to your doctor to rule out conditions such as hypothyroidism or edema wouldn't be a bad idea. While you are waiting to get in, please keep a diet diary, writing down everything (be brutally honest) that goes in your mouth, and bring it with you to the doctor.  

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Rob  Crane, MD Rob Crane, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Family Medicine