Gynecology

Brown Menstrual Discharge

05/05/2010

Question:

I am 47 years old female. I had unprotected sex few times last month.

My period has always been on time in 23-26 days. I have fibroids in my uterus. I usually have a lot of bleeding (regular blood red color with even some clots)during my period which lasts 5-6 days. During first 3 days I could change pads often enough.

This month it was about 2-3 days late, it was brown, and it was a disharge (very little) rather than full period as it is used to be. This has continued for 3 days and then stopped. There is no regular period that followed. This has never happened to me.

What could this be? Could this be a sign of pregnancy or start of menopause? Or is it some kind of a medical problem?

Thank you very much.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. However, NetWellness may have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org