Scratchy Throat Relieved Only By Burping?

05/17/2010

Question:

At least once a year, around allergy season, I get the following symptoms: post nasal drip followed by a scratchy throat, then eventually a runny nose and sneezing.

I attributed these symptoms with my allergies, but so far I`ve found no explanation for the scratchy throat feeling. My chest feels somewhat tight, as though I may have gas, but I can seldom burp. When I do, the scratchy feeling goes away.

Answer:

This problem sounds like it is allergy related.  It would good to know if you have allergies, in particular allergies to foods.  There is also the possibility that you have two separate problems. 

You can have allergies and you could have acid reflux.  I recommend that you see an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist to have your throat thoroughly evaluated and hopefully the appropriate therapy will be recommended.

Good luck with this problem.

Keith M Wilson, MD Keith M Wilson, MD
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Head and Neck Division