Polyp on the Tonsil and Inflammation

05/17/2010

Question:

My husband for the past two months has been hoarse and constantly clearing his throat. He saw a physician and they diagnosed him with post nasal dripping and sinusitis. As it continued, he saw an ENT who advised that his tonsils are enlarged and inflamed, there is inflamation of the larynx and he also has a polyp on his tonsil.

He was told to wait for a few weeks and if the growth of the polyp continues then they would remove it. I am nervous as I have heard certain types of throat cancer begin with these symptoms. Should I be concerned and what course of action do you suggest.

Answer:

I think that the advice that you have received so far is reasonable. Continue to follow your doctor's advice.  The hoarseness and chronic throat clearing may well be a sign of acid reflux, unrelated to the tonsil findings. 

A "polyp" on the tonsil would be unusual, but any sort of growth should be monitored. 

Yash J Patil, MD Yash J Patil, MD
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology