Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

What Could be Wrong with My Right Ear?



Please help! For five years now I have been having problems with my right ear. It feels clogged and there is some pressure in my right ear. I am usually able to pop it to relieve the pressure. But now it won`t pop normally. I have had a history of ear infections as a child due to fluid in the ears and have had tubes placed in both ears a few times. In 2006 I went to to see an ENT specialist and she cleaned my ears and did a tympani test and said that it was working fine. Where I went they did no hearing tests and did not have an audiologist. But it is still bugging me to the point that I can`t concentrate anymore. I keep on telling my parents that I should see an ENT specialist but they say that there is nothing that she can do to make my ears better and I will have to live with this problem for the rest of my life. I am at my wits end and frustrated that my parents won`t do anything to get me to an ear doctor. I feel like my parents don`t care abut this problem. What could be wrong with my right ear? What should I do about it?


It would certainly be worthwhile obtaining an Ear Nose and Throat consultation. A laundry list of issues can cause symptoms of ear fullness or pressure. A typical workup might include a thorough history and exam, followed by hearing tests, and occasionally an imaging study of some type might be obtained to better examine the inner ear. Symptoms that persist and that are bothersome are usually worth pursuing.

For more information:

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Daniel   Choo, MD Daniel Choo, MD
Associate Professor and Director, Division of Otology/Neurotology
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati