Esophageal Cancer

Stage 4 Esophageal Cancer

05/12/2010

Question:

My dad was just diagnosed with Stage 4 esophageal cancer (endocarcinoma cells) that has spread to his lungs and his liver. he also has Emphysema and is having great difficulty breathing. he also just had a recent heart attack that is causing concern as well.

he has been given the option to either undergo therapy or not undergo therapy because the cancer is not curable. My mother has not yet begun to process all of this yet and is at a loss for words.

What is the average life expectancy of a 66 yr old male with this stage of cancer that has other health issues? i know you cannot give me an exact timeframe, but i would like the average figure so i can prepare myself as well as my mother for what lies ahead.

Thank you 

Answer:

Unfortunately, time is extremely limited. The average lifespan is 3-4 months without treatment.

Go to the Esophageal Cancer health topic, where you can:

Tanios   Bekaii-Saab, MD Tanios Bekaii-Saab, MD
Assistant Professor of Medical Oncology
Associate Professor of Pharmacology