Problem with Septum

05/31/2010

Question:

I have had an extremely dry nose of late because of my cpap machine. I have since adjusted the humidity and it is healing, but I had blood coming out from the septum area when I blew my nose. On the left anterior septum I can feel a raised area about two thirds of the way back. It is not a well defined lump, just slightly raised spot. Could this be an irritated blood vessel? I thought the septum wall was always smooth. Thanks.

Answer:

CPAP machines can dry your nose out quite a bit. Most CPAP machines have a humidifier attached which I would strongly recommend using.

There are also other over the counter remedies for a dry nose. One of the ones I like is nasal saline gel. It looks like an ointment and is composed of salt water.

The septum should be absolutely smooth. A raised spot could represent a scab or crusting. If it does not go away, you should have it look at by your primary care doctor.

Ravindhra G Elluru, MD, PhD Ravindhra G Elluru, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology