Frontal Lobe, Ear and Molar Tooth Pain

06/10/2010

Question:

This past week I`ve suffered from a summer cold, now i`m having Frontal Lobe pain along with intense Molar Tooth pain and my right ear will hurt- I`ll feel like it`s clogged up or it`ll start pulsing for a bit.

When I tightly close my right eye the pain gets stronger above my eyebrow and temple. I feel like ripping out my tooth it hurts so bad. My mother noted that the right side of my face looked Slightly swolen compared to the left.

Also the Pain intensified when i jump, run, bend over or turn my head too quickly. Im also very sound sensitive right now. I`ve never felt this sort of pain before, I do suffered from headaches all the time but never this grave or focused on just part of my head. Is it possible for this pain to be some sort of sinus problem or could it be a brain tumor?

Answer:

It would not be unusual to develop a sinus infection following a cold.

The nasal congestion from a cold, which is usually viral, can block drainage from the sinus cavities, resulting in a bacterial infection. 

Such infections can be associated with significant facial and head pain that is often exacerbated by bending over or the other maneuvers you describe. 

Your best bet is to consult an ENT physician who can then determine whether you have an infection, and prescribe appropriate treatment.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy