Gum Diseases

Scar Tissue (?), Smiling After Gum Graft

08/10/2010

Question:

I had gum grafting performed three weeks ago, across four teeth on the upper left side of my mouth. I tried to take it easy on the graft side of my face - I didn`t smile, laugh, etc. The donor site healed up quickly but I`m still having issues with the grafted side. I just got the stitches out yesterday, and I have a long ridge of puffy tissue that has been there the whole time. Is this scar tissue? And will it go away? Also, I cannot smile properly, especially when I try to smile with my teeth showing - it`s like the muscles aren`t working on the left side of my face. Could this be because of the ridge of tissue? Is this within the realm of "normal"? I.e., could it be that I`m just out of practice since I tried NOT to smile for three weeks? I have asked the doctor many of these questions, but have received contradictory responses, and I don`t find him reliable.

Answer:

It sounds like your graft survived and has taken well. The puffy tissue will shrink a little with healing and maturation. Similarly, you should feel better with your functions with decreasing swelling.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology